50+ years representing
only the injured

E-cig explodes in Naples man’s face, burns lungs

Quitting smoking is a good idea, but those who have chosen to use the alternative e-cigarettes might want to rethink their decision.

A 21-year-old Naples man is now in a medically-induced coma because the e-cigarette he was vaping exploded in his face, badly burning him externally as well as internally.

His sister gave an interview to CBS Miami, saying that she had been in bed with her 2-year-old and heard an explosion coming from her brother’s bedroom.

She discovered him lying on the floor, with soot covering his face and chest.

“I found my brother not breathing with his . . . face . . . and his neck burned and trying to throw up . . . or . . . gasping for air,” she said.

Local emergency personnel took him to a hospital in the vicinity, but he wound up being airlifted to Miami for treatment. Doctors believe his burns were attributed to the e-cigarette’s lithium battery. When it exploded, the mouthpiece entered his throat and may have exploded again in his lungs.

This is not the first incident of an exploding e-cigarette. A few weeks ago, a woman from California got an award of almost $2 million after being seriously burned under the same circumstances back in 2013.

Last year, a 65-year-old grandmother from England almost died after her portable oxygen supply exploded while she vaped on an e-cig. In another incident in Great Britain, another device blew up inside a pub and almost burned a bartender.

If you have been injured in a similar manner while vaping with an e-cigarette, you may wish to pursue legal options for your damages.

Source: New York Daily News, “Florida man in coma after e-cigarette explodes in face: family,” Nina Golgowski, Oct. 27, 2015